[openssl-dev] Ubsec and Chil engines

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Feb 19 13:12:28 UTC 2016

On 19/02/16 13:03, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Pá, 2016-02-19 at 11:31 +0000, Matt Caswell wrote:
>

>> So it seems that for chil there may possibly be some rare use (but
>> even
>> the most recent evidence is 4 years old). However the OpenSSL dev
>> team
>> do not have access to this hardware to maintain the engine and (as
>> noted
>> above) this is currently not building in 1.1.0.
>>
>> In both cases I would like to remove these engines from 1.1.0. I'd
>> like
>> to hear from the community if there is any active use of these. One
>> option if there is found to be some small scale use is to spin out
>> the
>> engine into a separately managed repo (as has happened recently with
>> the
>> GOST engine).
>>
>> If I don't hear from anyone I will remove these.
>
> As far as I know there are some customers using the Chil engine with
> RHEL (openssl-1.0.1).

How do you feel about the engine being spun out into a separate repo?
That of course assumes that a volunteer can be found to maintain it (I
don't believe anyone on the dev team wishes to do so).

If no such volunteer can be found how big a deal is it to remove it from
1.1.0 without a replacement? Obviously it won't be taken out of
1.0.1/1.0.2. Of course there's no reason, even if we take it out now,
that if someone needs it badly enough in the future that they couldn't
forward port the 1.0.2 version to 1.1.0 and maintain it themselves at
that point.