[openssl-dev] Ubsec and Chil engines

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Feb 19 13:37:27 UTC 2016

Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> skrev: (19 februari 2016 14:12:28 CET)

>On 19/02/16 13:03, Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> On Pá, 2016-02-19 at 11:31 +0000, Matt Caswell wrote:
>>

>>> So it seems that for chil there may possibly be some rare use (but
>>> even
>>> the most recent evidence is 4 years old). However the OpenSSL dev
>>> team
>>> do not have access to this hardware to maintain the engine and (as
>>> noted
>>> above) this is currently not building in 1.1.0.
>>>
>>> In both cases I would like to remove these engines from 1.1.0. I'd
>>> like
>>> to hear from the community if there is any active use of these. One
>>> option if there is found to be some small scale use is to spin out
>>> the
>>> engine into a separately managed repo (as has happened recently with
>>> the
>>> GOST engine).
>>>
>>> If I don't hear from anyone I will remove these.
>>
>> As far as I know there are some customers using the Chil engine with
>> RHEL (openssl-1.0.1).
>
>How do you feel about the engine being spun out into a separate repo?
>That of course assumes that a volunteer can be found to maintain it (I
>don't believe anyone on the dev team wishes to do so).

Not so fast. I've my engine-corner on github that's intended for exactly this sort of thing. I'll happily help porting engines to become independent products. In my opinion, that will serve us all.

Engine-corner is a personal project that has nothing to do with the team per se. Participation by anyone interested is welcome (frankly, engines that no one participates in *will* die, simple as that)