[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4343] master: EC_KEY_priv2buf (): check parameter sanity

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Sun Feb 28 05:18:58 UTC 2016

> On Feb 27, 2016, at 7:42 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please ensure this is documented somewhere. I'm having trouble finding
> information on the new rules.
>
> There's 15 or 20 years of using capitol and lower case identifiers to
> denote public and private APIs with OpenSSL. For example, see
> https://marc.info/?l=openssl-users&m=102683340223621 .
>
> I'm happy to tell folks that no longer applies, but we need to know
> what the new rules are is and when the cut-over occured.

There are no new *rules*, just new goals I'm promoting in this thread.
If it is not documented it is not a fully implemented public interface.
The documentation is part of what it takes to be a first-class
public interface.  New code must be documented, and patches to
existing code should bring the documentation up to date.  In good
part because it is hard to know whether a patch is correct when
updating undocumented code, and the exercise of documenting it makes
one think harder about the requisite semantics.

The upper-case lower-case thing is a legacy crutch, that is likely
to continue to be adhered to for some time, but increasingly it is
the documentation that must delineate between public and internal
interfaces.

--
	Viktor.