[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4583] AutoReply: Debian X32 and "fatal error: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or directory"

noloader@gmail.com via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Jun 23 10:32:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 6:25 AM, Andy Polyakov via RT <rt at openssl.org> wrote:
>> Here's a couple more ways things don't work as expected:
>>
>> # ./config CFLAGS="-mx32"
>> Operating system: x86_64-whatever-linux2
>> Configuring for linux-x86_64
>> Configuring OpenSSL version 1.1.0-pre6-dev (0x0x10100006L)
>> target already defined - linux-x86_64 (offending arg: CFLAGS=-mx32)
>>
>> # ./config -mx32
>> Operating system: x86_64-whatever-linux2
>> Configuring for linux-x86_64
>
> There is linux-x32 config line, use that instead. The only question is
> *if* x32 should be auto-detected and in such case how. You mentioned
> that uname returns x86_64. Of course it does, there is no x32 kernel,
> x32 is pure user-land thing. Well, "pure" is overstatement because it
> does require certain kernel support, but it's an add-on support for
> plain 64-bit kernel. Most 64-bit Linux installations can execute x32
> binaries (statically linked if there are no corresponding dynamic
> libraries) and x32 installations can execute 64-bit binaries (statically
> linked if there are no corresponding dynamic libraries).

Yeah, I'm less concerned about the mis-detection. As strange as it
sounds, you are free to mis-detect as much as you'd like. BUT...
you're not allowed to break the compile, regardless of whether there's
a proper "X32" kernel.

In my mind's eye, things either "just work" or they have issues. This
is falling on the "has issues" side of the line.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4583