[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4589] Resolved: simplifying writing code that is 1.0.x and 1.1.x compatible

Thomas Waldmann via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Jun 28 22:10:02 UTC 2016

On 06/28/2016 11:18 PM, Kurt Roeckx via RT wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 08:50:43PM +0000, Thomas Waldmann via RT wrote:
>> I didn't ask where to get the missing code from, I asked whether you
>> maybe want to make life simpler for people by adding this to 1.0.x
>> rather than having a thousand software developers copy and pasting it
>> into their projects.
>
> I think this will not actually make life easier.  People using a
> 1.0.x version are not always using the latest 1.0.x version.

Aren't they?

Don't they use 1.0.xLATEST rather soon, due to security fixes?

And in case some dist maintainer chooses to rather backport, couldn't
they also backport the added function if it is documented as "openssl
1.1.x migration support" or so?

We aren't talking about incompatible changes, just adding 2 trivial
functions that were not there yet (but should have been there, when
looking at the rest of the API).

> Or are you happy to say that they either need a certain version of
> the 1.0.x branch

Well, of course openssl project would only care about latest update of
each series 1.0.1x, 1.0.2x, 1.1.0x.

> or the 1.1 branch?  Then why not just say they need the 1.1 branch?

Because software needs to be able to run on both versions, likely for years.

For borgbackup, we want to support running on centos6, debian wheezy,
... debian experimental.

In a year, openssl 1.0.x and 1.1.x will be in stable and supported
distributions that openssl-using software needs to support.

--

GPG ID: FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4589