[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4589] Resolved: simplifying writing code that is 1.0.x and 1.1.x compatible

Kurt Roeckx via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Jun 28 21:18:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 08:50:43PM +0000, Thomas Waldmann via RT wrote:
> I didn't ask where to get the missing code from, I asked whether you
> maybe want to make life simpler for people by adding this to 1.0.x
> rather than having a thousand software developers copy and pasting it
> into their projects.

I think this will not actually make life easier.  People using a
1.0.x version are not always using the latest 1.0.x version.

Or are you happy to say that they either need a certain version of
the 1.0.x branch or the 1.1 branch?  Then why not just say they
need the 1.1 branch?

I know it's annoying, but I don't see this solving anything, nor
do I see a good way to avoid it.

But adding things to master to make it easier to upgrade are
clearly things we do want to do.

Kurt

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4589