[openssl-dev] Errors when loading an OpenSSL RSA Engine

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Mon Mar 7 22:47:22 UTC 2016

A naïve question.

OpenSSL RSA engine (RSAX) by Intel wants to call function mod_exp_512() that
is defined somewhere else. I checked, and that function is not defined
anywhere in the sources of either OpenSSL-1.0.2h-dev, or OpenSSL-1.1.0-pre.
$ clang -shared -o eng_rsax.so eng_rsax.o -L/opt/local/lib -lcrypto

  "_mod_exp_512", referenced from:

      _e_rsax_bn_mod_exp in eng_rsax.o

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

$ openssl version

OpenSSL 1.0.2h-dev  xx XXX xxxx

$

Does it mean that this method has been deprecated and removed? If so, what
functions should be used instead?

Also, this Intel-optimized engine (from 2010) seems to be geared towards
RSA-1024, which isn’t considered adequate by now. Does it mean this engine
has been deprecated as well, and shouldn’t be used (assuming one can link a
valid shared library, resolving that undefined reference)?  Does the current
OpenSSL RSA code contains optimizations proposed by that engine?

Thanks!

P.S. My OpenSSL-1.0.2h-dev installation was configured for darwin-x86_64-cc,
and seems to function correctly. It also passed all the tests.
--
Regards,
Uri Blumenthal