[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3502] nameConstraints bypass bug

John Denker via RT rt at openssl.org
Mon May 30 22:32:38 UTC 2016

I'm glad to see some discussion of this issue.
Note that other implementations treated this as
a bug and fixed it a long time ago.

On 05/30/2016 11:56 AM, Rich Salz wrote:

> WebPKI has deprecated
> cn-as-hostname for more than a decade and mandated SAN names.

Well, maybe that is the Right Answer™

I'm not sure what "deprecated" and "mandated" mean in
the openssl context.  If openssl actually de-implemented
CN-as-hostname and actually mandated SAN, that would
solve the nameConstraints bypass bug in grand style.

> Leaving this open because we might be able to do some hueristics/hacks to
> determine when the CN "should be" a DNS name.

How about this for a heuristic:  If nameConstraints are
in effect, then the validator MUST NOT accept the CN as
a DNS name.  This seems like the least the validator
could do, in light of the aforementioned deprecation.

This seems unlikely to generate false alarms, since any
issuer who uses nameConstraints should be savvy enough
to not rely on CN-as-hostname to the exclusion of SANs.

  Optionally a CN that satisfies the nameConstraints could
  be tolerated, insofar as it is deprecated but harmless.

>  But the workaround is to use SAN.

That workaround is not specific enough to solve the
security problem.  Note the contrast:
 -- As it stands, good guys are /allowed/ to use SAN.
 -- The problem is not solved until bad guys are
  /required/ to use SAN;
 ... or more to the point, required to not use anything
  but SAN;
 ... or even more to the point, required to not use
  anything that bypasses the nameConstraints.

The crucial word there is "required".

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3502