[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3502] nameConstraints bypass bug

Salz, Rich via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue May 31 02:06:41 UTC 2016

> Note that other implementations treated this as a bug and fixed it a long time
> ago.

What other implementations, and what did they do?  Always treating a CN as a DNS name?  We can't.

> I'm not sure what "deprecated" and "mandated" mean in the openssl
> context.  If openssl actually de-implemented CN-as-hostname and actually
> mandated SAN, that would solve the nameConstraints bypass bug in grand
> style.

Applications can do that now by setting the right flag, as Viktor pointed out.  I think it's too late to make the default change for 1.1

> How about this for a heuristic:  If nameConstraints are in effect, then the
> validator MUST NOT accept the CN as a DNS name.  This seems like the least
> the validator could do, in light of the aforementioned deprecation.

Probably.

>  -- The problem is not solved until bad guys are
>   /required/ to use SAN;

Applications can make that happen now.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3502