[openssl-dev] [RFC 0/2] Proposal for seamless handling of TPM based RSA keys in openssl

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Nov 22 13:18:56 UTC 2016

In message <1479820158.8937.29.camel at infradead.org> on Tue, 22 Nov 2016 13:09:18 +0000, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> said:

dwmw2> On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 12:54 +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
dwmw2> > > would much rather have seen a patch where OpenSSL's PEM module is
dwmw2> > > tought to recognise 'BEGIN TSS KEY BLOB', pull out the blob from it, securing
dwmw2> >
dwmw2> > Yes, that would be much more consistent with the existing OpenSSL
dwmw2> > code which -- like it or not -- works that way.
dwmw2>
dwmw2> Yeah. Although I'd note that the OpenSSL code only works that way for
dwmw2> PEM files. I really want to make it work the same way for DER files
dwmw2> too. There's an *attempt* in d2i_AutoPrivateKey() but that doesn't
dwmw2> handle encrypted PKCS#8 IIRC. Or PKCS#12. And the app still shouldn't
dwmw2> have to call different functions for PEM vs. DER files anyway.

Just let me shamelessly mention my STORE effort again ;-)
Among others, it does attempt to solve that very problem (in the
'file' scheme handler).

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org