[openssl-dev] [RFC v2 2/2] pem: load engine keys

Wed Nov 30 20:13:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 19:32 +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
> > OK, so where is the foundation charter and who are your lawyers?
>
> Wow, this seems to have taken a turn to the unfriendly.  I apologize
> if I added to that.  Sometimes a smiley doesn't wipe out all bad
> impressions.

No, it's standard if you insist on the CLA route:  If you sign a CLA to
an organization, you have to understand what the organization does
before you understand what you're actually committing to: the actual
commitment isn't within the four corners of the CLA.  Your current ICLA
gives effectively an unlimited perpetual licence to do anything with
regard to sublicensing so the scope of that grant is actually governed
by the bylaws and restrictions of the foundation itself because it is
the grant recipient.  For instance, the old OpenStack ICLA was fairly
similar to yours so you had to dig into their bylaws to understand what
they were actually committing to do with the code (basically sublicense
it to all comers under ASL-2).  The structure of the organisation
matters a lot: unlimited grant to a corporate entity under a CLA is
usually a bad idea because they often have nefarious plans to take your
code private via a dual licence, or they might mean well, but their
intentions become nullified if they get taken over.  Foundations are
usually better because their charter often restricts what they can
actually do with the code and what happens to the grant in the event of
dissolution or takeover, which is why reading and understanding the
charter (and possibly the bylaws) is important.

Usually I don't have to ask, all of this is simply available on the web
most of the time.  It's just the openssl foundation doesn't appear to
have any of this online.

I suspect IBM will need to sign a CCLA ... they'll definitely need to
know who your lawyers are.

> The OpenSSL Software Foundation is incorporated in the the state of
> Delaware, United States, as a non-profit corporation. It does not
> qualify as a tax-exempt charitable organisation under Section
> 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.   You can email
> info at opensslfoundation.org with questions.
> But do note that openssl open source project itself is not governed
> by those entities, but rather by the collection of individuals known
> as the development team.  You can find more information by clicking
> on the "policies" and "community" tab on the website.

I did check those links ... they don't have any governance information
about the actual openssl foundation that I can find.

James