[openssl-dev] Why is libefence needed for 32-bit debug (linux-elf) builds?

Benjamin Kaduk bkaduk at akamai.com
Fri Oct 21 23:00:36 UTC 2016

During some testing today, I ended up trying to do a build of 1.1.0b
configured for linux-elf --debug (with no-asm to work around some issue
that was not my primary concern at the time), which failed due to a
missing -lefence.  The corresponding linux-x86_64 build on the same
machine succeeds.

It seems that this happened as a result of commit
7910044064e106073c097a6940d25fe36401266b, "Find debug- targets that can
be combined with their non-debug counterparts", which ended up moving
the contents of the debug-linux-elf target from 90-team.conf to
10-main.conf where the linux-elf target lives.  Having electric fence
enabled in a team-only configuration seems reasonable, but it's less
clear that it's the right thing to do for a target in 10-main.conf, even
when --debug is used.  (There is an explicit debug-linux-elf-noefence
target in 90-team.conf, for what it's worth.)

Should the efence build be moved to a different target in 90-team.conf
leaving the debug-version of linux-elf buildable in a more generic set
of environments?

-Ben