[openssl-dev] Why is libefence needed for 32-bit debug (linux-elf) builds?

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Oct 21 23:13:30 UTC 2016

Actually, -lefence comes from much further back in time.  If you look
at the configuration strings in Configure in version 1.0.2, you'll
find debug-linux-elf, with that dreaded -lefence.  Back in that
version, ./config treats -d by prefixing the desired target with
'debug-', so 'debug-linux-elf' is the official debugging target for
'linux-elf'.

This was transferred to the new configuration hash by merging all
debug-FOO targets with their corresponding FOO targets and make
debugging and non-debugging variants of a number of settings.  Not
sure that I remember if or why 'debug-linux-elf' ended up in
90-team.conf...

Anyway, I assume that what you're really asking is if libefence should
be viewed as antique.  If nothing else, we could be a bit more
consistent (there is a lack of consistency between configuration
targets!)...  Me, I have no issues, removing -lefence from the debug
settings of 'linux-elf' and replace 'debug-linux-elf-noefence' with
'debug-linux-elf-efence'.

Cheers,
Richard