[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4641] [openssl-1.1.0-pre6] make test stops with solaris64-x86_64-gcc

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Sep 1 22:10:50 UTC 2016

> Note that a 32-bit Perl can be compiled with or without support for 64-bit integers.
> That fact hit me once doing OpenSSL builds, some 64-bit constants were not
> calculated correctly, however that showed up at build time so not likely
> to be the case here. However, it might be helpful checking if the 32-bit perl
> in question supports 64-bit or not.

Those problems were addressed and both configurations are known to work.
For example 32-bit perl I use by default on Linux is *not* compiled with
64-bit integers, while 32-bit perl I have on Solaris is. No problem with
either. It appears to me that problem is likely to occur at sign
extension when processing effective addresses. To demonstrate this with
one-liner:

perl -e 'use integer; printf "%d\n",0xffffffff<<32>>32'

It should print -1 in either combination of bitnesses.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4641