[openssl-dev] License change agreement

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Mar 24 12:29:53 UTC 2017

In message <20170324121435.GQ70789 at colo.drijf.net> on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 13:14:35 +0100, Otto Moerbeek <otto at drijf.net> said:

otto> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:53:10AM +0000, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL wrote:
otto>
otto> > I personally think this issue is being blown way out of proportion and beyond the boundary of reason.
otto> >
otto> > Regards,
otto> > Uri
otto>
otto> Is it reasonable to step on the rights of authors with the backing of
otto> large corporations? Individual authors that might have chosen to
otto> change email address or are unable to be contacted for other reasons?
otto>
otto> It is sad to see the corporate giants dictate the policies of yet
otto> another open source project, without regard for the spirit of
otto> copyright law which is to protect the individual author.

If I'm reading you correctly, *any* license change faces the exact
same problem.  My interpretation of what you say is that unless we can
successfully reach all contributors, no exception, we're stuck with
the current license, probably for life.

Am I reading you correctly?

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org