[openssl-dev] Blog post; changing in email, crypto policy, etc

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Wed Jan 24 18:08:54 UTC 2018

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Dr. Matthias St. Pierre <Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com> wrote:
>
> As for the two mailing lists openssl-users and openssl-dev: It was always
> my understanding that the former was for usability questions starting
> from newbie questions up to very sophisticated subjects, whereas
> openssl-dev was for discussion around the development process itself.

Where "development process" means development of OpenSSL itself, not
software dependent on OpenSSL.  Since openssl is primarily a developer
toolkit, not end-user software, the openssl-users list is really for
developers, just not developers of OpenSSL itself.

> If we agree that mailing lists are preferrable to GitHub threads, then we
> should not close down openssl-dev.

Well, but we now have "openssl-project" for discussions of the
ongoing development of OpenSSL.  It is mostly for team members,
but though it is moderated, IIRC others can join and post.

> Because openssl-project is readonly for most developers

s/developers/users/

> and I don't think it would be a good idea to join openssl-dev
> and openssl-users.

Well, I've been on both for a long time, and mostly find that
I wish the openssl-dev posts were on openssl-users instead,
they really mostly aren't about ongoing OpenSSL development.

--
	Viktor.