[openssl-project] Problems with waiting for specific person to merge

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Apr 19 09:04:33 UTC 2018

In message <9d1d9c5d9b0c4d54ae72d0759d0daec2 at Ex13.ncp.local> on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:30:03 +0000, "Dr. Matthias St. Pierre" <Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com> said:

Matthias.St.Pierre> Speaking as one of the committer with $PAYROLL !=
Matthias.St.Pierre> "OpenSSL", I would like to add two remarks.
Matthias.St.Pierre>
Matthias.St.Pierre> I think the reluctance to merge other committer's
Matthias.St.Pierre> pull requests comes from the thought that it might
Matthias.St.Pierre> appear impolite or that one does not want to
Matthias.St.Pierre> interfere with the other's business. Personally, I
Matthias.St.Pierre> don't have a problemat all if my pull requests are
Matthias.St.Pierre> merged by others when I don't have the time to do
Matthias.St.Pierre> it myself. When somebody notices that a pull
Matthias.St.Pierre> request went stale after approval, I would suggest
Matthias.St.Pierre> to ping the owner and give him/her a grace period
Matthias.St.Pierre> of at least 24 hours to do it by it him/herself.
Matthias.St.Pierre> After that it is perfectly ok to merge it.

Yeah, I get that point, and you're right, there should be an attempt
at a polite exchange first.  In my defence, I had a quick chat with
Emilia a couple of weeks ago, and it became clear that she has a busy
period for the moment.

Matthias.St.Pierre> For tickets owned by non-committers, my
Matthias.St.Pierre> observation is that it is often not clear who will
Matthias.St.Pierre> merge. I for myself follow the habbit of
Matthias.St.Pierre> self-assigning a ticket as indication that I
Matthias.St.Pierre> intend to do the merge. Sometimes others do it the
Matthias.St.Pierre> same way, but it is not a general practice. Maybe
Matthias.St.Pierre> we could make this a general pattern?

This has actually varied a bit.  What I've observed is that the first
to approve is oftentimes the one that merges, unless something else is
said (there have been some PRs where people have asked each other).
Self assigning is a good habit...  unless you have my tendencies, to
*ahem* forget that you've self assigned something.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org