[openssl-project] chatty make output

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Thu Feb 1 22:12:47 UTC 2018

> I think this belongs in CHANGES or NEWS, not with every single
> reconfigure build
>

> Creating Makefile
>

> NOTE: Starting with OpenSSL 1.1.1, 'Configure' doesn't display all the
> disabled
> options or the "make variables" with their values.  Instead, you must use
> 'configdata.pm' as a script to get a display of the configuration data.  For
> help, please do this:
>

>         perl configdata.pm --help

BTW, I didn't appreciate this change. Thing about original output was
that it was telling things about user's environment. Idea was that one
didn't have to ask for additional information when user reported "ran
config, it printed this, help"... I would even say that new message
is meaningless to user. "Instead, you mist use 'configdata.pm'"? User
will simply wonder "instead of what"? Then execute --help and wonder
what is it that needs to be included into problem report... In other
words if config doesn't produce output that appears worthy to include
into problem report, then it should tell how to produce information that
we would appreciate in problem report.