[openssl-project] chatty make output

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Feb 1 23:31:28 UTC 2018

In message <21e9cf89-dbcf-1b0e-5269-fb508e85e355 at openssl.org> on Thu, 1 Feb 2018 23:12:47 +0100, Andy Polyakov <appro at openssl.org> said:

appro> > I think this belongs in CHANGES or NEWS, not with every single
appro> > reconfigure build
appro> >
appro> >
appro> > Creating Makefile
appro> >
appro> >
appro> > NOTE: Starting with OpenSSL 1.1.1, 'Configure' doesn't display all the
appro> > disabled
appro> > options or the "make variables" with their values.  Instead, you must use
appro> > 'configdata.pm' as a script to get a display of the configuration data.  For
appro> > help, please do this:
appro> >
appro> >
appro> >         perl configdata.pm --help
appro>
appro> BTW, I didn't appreciate this change. Thing about original
appro> output was that it was telling things about user's environment.

Yeahwell, there were other voices who didn't quite appreciate that
dump, or that it was kinda sorta half baked, and not always on par
with what actually ended up in the build file.  Still doesn't
*entirely*, but closer.

appro> Idea was that one didn't have to ask for additional information
appro> when user reported "ran config, it printed this, help"... I
appro> would even say that new message is meaningless to user.
appro> "Instead, you must use 'configdata.pm'"? User will simply
appro> wonder "instead of what"? Then execute --help and wonder what
appro> is it that needs to be included into problem report... In other
appro> words if config doesn't produce output that appears worthy to
appro> include into problem report, then it should tell how to produce
appro> information that we would appreciate in problem report.

Now this is a good point.  There is a flag --dump that dumps quite a
bit chunk of info...  One thing I didn't think of was that the final
config target attributes could be a useful addition, that could be
added in the dump as well...

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org