[openssl-project] Removing assembler for outdated algorithms

Tim Hudson tjh at openssl.org
Sat Feb 10 21:29:32 UTC 2018

Before we look at removing things like this, I think we should look at
whether or not they actually have a significant maintenance cost.

Tim.

On 11 Feb. 2018 7:08 am, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:

This is derived from bureau/libcrypto-proposal that Emilila made in
November 2015.

We should remove the assembler versions of the following

                Blowfish, cast, des, rc4, rc5, ripemd, whirlpool, md5

The reason is that they are outdated, not in use very much, and
optimization is not important, compared to having a single reference source
that we can maintain and debug.