[openssl-project] Fw: [openssl-commits] Copyright warnings for refs/heads/master

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Jan 9 20:12:14 UTC 2018

Right now, there's a post-receive script on our git server that emails
Rich and me with messages such as the attached.  It also checks if any
NEW file lacks a copyright blurb entirely and notifies then as well.

I'm thinking we should make this a VREF (*) that refuses to take a
push, much like the reviewer checking VREF, and that we add a Travis
job that does check these things as well.

What are your thoughts on this?  This will affect the workflow for
each of us, and quite harshly so.  It also means we need to take it
upon ourselves edit the copyright lines ourselves (there's a script
util/openssl-update-copyright that helps), or go back to the author.
(of course, a Travis check will help too...)

(*) A VREF is a special thing in gitolite, which we use for our git
    repos.  Basically, it's a special variant of the update git hook
    that is used to figure out if a push should be accepted or not,
    all depending on the criteria that VREF has been programmed with.