[openssl-project] platforms: what do the different "classes" mean?

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Wed Jan 10 22:17:52 UTC 2018

Reading the platform policy (https://www.openssl.org/policies/platformpolicy.html),
the classifications seems fairly clear.

    Primary: well defined

    Secondary: at least one team member actively supports

    Community: one or more member of the community supports

    Unknown: we have no idea what the status is

    Deprecated: to be removed later on

And yet, we're bickering over what status Cygwin should have in PR
#5043 (https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/5043).  Why is that?
I'm guessing that we don't quite agree what "actively supports"
means.  Is the "active" part about declaration (someone solemnly
declaring "I will support Cygwin"), or is it about action and
behavioral patterns (we do know that a few team members look after
Cygwin, although perhaps not on a daily basis).

(from my very personal point of view, I'd put Cygwin in the
"community" category, 'cause even if Matt and I do test OpenSSL on
Cygwin when we are the ones doing a release, that's also it as far as
I know...  but this isn't just about my opinion, and when opinions are
clearly diverging, it's time to ask why)

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org