[openssl-project] platforms: what do the different "classes" mean?

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Wed Jan 10 22:53:34 UTC 2018

So your interpretation of "active support" is primarly declarative.
That's perfectly fine, and I hope others will tell us what they think,
and I hope that we will come to an agreement on the meaning.

I kinda sorta agree with you...  most of all for "secondary"
classification, I'd like to see clear declarations of support.
You might note in PR #5043, however, that I haven't put down any name
for the VC and mingw config targets.  The main reason is that through
Travis and Appveyor, we all get to support them (we do worry every
time they aren't green).  It seems like a moot point to declare
anything more...

So for the "community" classification...  you see, I had it stuck in
my head that all new config targets provided by someone outside the
team would automatically end up classified "community", because it was
provided by the community...  but then again, "provided" isn't the
same as "supported", and if "supported" is the primary criteria for
the "community" classification, having such config targets classified
as such, no questions asked, is clearly wrong.  So we end up putting
them in "unknown" until further notice.

Sorry for babbling, I guess I needed to write it aloud to unstick my
own stuck thoughts.

Regarding intent (as you commented re Cygwin), it would seem we aren't
all clear on it (even within the OMC)...  but we may be on our way to
a common view.