[openssl-project] What's a new feature, vs what's a fix?

Bernd Edlinger bernd.edlinger at hotmail.de
Sun Jan 21 09:33:14 UTC 2018

On 01/21/18 08:40, Richard Levitte wrote:
> This may need being rehashed, as it seems we don't have a concensus.
>
> Our versioning policy stipulates that released versions of OpenSSL
> should only be updated with fixes, that new features should go into
> new releases (right now, 1.1.1 will be the next new release, while
> 1.1.0 has already been released and is only updated).
>
> The question that keeps coming up, through comments like the attached,
> is "what do we mean by 'new feature'".  I have been surprised at times
> by what others have considered a 'new feature', and obviously, I can
> surprise as well.
>
> I think that it's clear to every one that added APIs is a new feature.
>
> I think that it's clear to every one that added new functions is a new
> feature...  most of the times (the exception is when a fairly obvious
> function is missing in a newly released API).

IMHO a light-weight configuration option like this falls under the same
exception.

> But then we have other items where it's not quite as clear, and
> opinions seems to differ, such as:
>
> - is a new config target a new feature?  I think that most of us have
>    agreed that it is, but am not entirely sure everyone sees it that
>    way.
>
> - is a new config option a new feature?  I have argued that it is, but
>    am not at all sure we have a consensus.
>
> - is a new C macro to indicate if a certain feature is desirable or
>    not a new feature?  I actually have no clue, which is also the
>    reason I raised the question in the PR.
>    A side question is why this was coded as a direct C macro
>    configuration and not as our other config options, and in that case,
>    why we should consider it differently from the usual config options.

a) It should not influence the exported functions or the header files in
any way.

b) It should not add any complexity (and future maintenance cost) to
the configuration process.

c) A "normal" config option would cross the border to a new feature.

Thanks
Bernd.