[openssl-project] 1.1.1 Release timetable (again)

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Jan 25 07:39:54 UTC 2018

In message <a854cb79-3cab-dea2-e29e-76666d97273f at openssl.org> on Wed, 24 Jan 2018 20:48:54 +0000, Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> said:

matt> On 24/01/18 19:12, Salz, Rich wrote:
matt> > A monthly release cadence for beta seems too long.  I would prefer two weeks.  And we keep doing that until TLS 1.3 is published.
matt> That might be ok. As a technical issue though we can only have a maximum
matt> of 14 alpha/beta releases (due to the format of OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER
matt> in opensslv.h). If we were to do a release every 2 weeks starting on
matt> 14th Feb, that would mean the last beta we could possibly do would be on
matt> 15th August.  If there is a risk that the TLSv1.3 publication could go
matt> beyond that date then we would be stuck.

This is the first time, as far as I recall, that we've decided to wait
on someone else for our releases, so I'm thinking that we have the
freedom to decide how to act if there's a delay, for example to delay
our own beta cycle.  It shouldn't be too hard to write a kind of
"caveat emptor" where we say that "should the TLSv1.3 publication be
delayed, we till re-evaluate our plans".

(another way to do it is to refuse making a release plan before we
receive a clear signal that publication *will* happen and when it
will...  after all, we *are* putting ourselves in a kind of hostage


Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org
OpenSSL Project         http://www.openssl.org/~levitte/

More information about the openssl-project mailing list