[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Thu Jun 7 15:55:27 UTC 2018

> Regarding general use of other libraries, please think carefully before voting, 'cause this *is* tricky. If you have a look, you will see that we *currently* depend on certain standard libraries, such as, for example, libdl.

One has to recognize that each dependency has to be justified. Sometimes
you don't have a choice. For example if you want to talk network on
Solaris, you have to link with -lsocket -lnsl. It's just part of the
game. But in cases one has a choice, well, one has a choice to *make*.
And key question is how do you anchor it. It's only natural to have as
little dependencies as possible, so question is what would justify extra
dependency.

> And perhaps we should also mention the pile of libraries used with windows.

It's not about amount, but ubiquity and stability. Windows is bad
example in the context, because it's rather "mono-cultural" environment.
But *otherwise* thing is that we already *know* that those extra
libraries work. Or at least know what to expect and how to deal with
them on different platforms. They were effectively proven to work by
lasting through several releases and years-long bug ironing. This *is*
factor too. And that's what made me pose "is b) part of vote" in my last
post.