[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Thu Jun 7 19:59:44 UTC 2018

Here is proposed documentation for what I am suggesting.

=item B<-passutf8>, B<-pass8bit>

These flags indicate the character set encoding on the password value.
By default, non-ASCII characters are rejected. This is new to OpenSSL 1.1.1,
and is used to enforce complains with the PKCS#12 standard.
If B<-passutf8> is given, then the password is taken to be valid UTF-8 encoding,
and will be used directly.
If B<-pass8bit> is given, the password is taken to be encoded in the current
locale, but is still used directly.
A future release might automatically convert the password to valid UTF-8
encoding if this flag is given.

On 6/7/18, 3:42 PM, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:

    >    So even rejecting correctly encoded utf-8?

    I think you forgot that this is not what I suggested.  One flag indicates it's utf-8 encoded, don't touch it.  The other flag indicates it might have high-bit chars, don't touch it.