[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Thu Jun 7 20:14:20 UTC 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
>
> If B<-pass8bit> is given, the password is taken to be encoded in the current
> locale, but is still used directly.
> A future release might automatically convert the password to valid UTF-8
> encoding if this flag is given.

I would propose that "-pass8bit" means that each byte of the input is
a unicode code point value (i.e. ASCII or LATIN1 supplement) and we'll
convert to UCS-2 by prepending 0x00 to each one.  If so, I would expect
this flag to NOT ever change its meaning.

We may internally convert to UTF-8 and then to UTF-16 largely undoing
the first conversion, but that just internal API gymnastics, not user-
observable.

--
	Viktor.