[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Mon Jun 11 15:06:01 UTC 2018

    > If B<-pass8bit> is given, the password is taken to be encoded in the current
    > locale, but is still used directly.
    > A future release might automatically convert the password to valid UTF-8
    > encoding if this flag is given.

    I would propose that "-pass8bit" means that each byte of the input is
    a unicode code point value (i.e. ASCII or LATIN1 supplement) and we'll
    convert to UCS-2 by prepending 0x00 to each one.  If so, I would expect
    this flag to NOT ever change its meaning.

I don't see the point of this.

My goal, with the two flags, was to allow users to make explicit what they want, and to warn them that *one* of the cases might/will change in the future.