[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Mon Jun 11 16:03:48 UTC 2018

>    I have zero idea what the doc says, because I haven't seen the docs
    yet.  Did I miss the PR?

No.  It's posted here on the mailing list for discussion and reposted here:

+=item B<-passutf8>, B<-pass8bit>
+
+These flags indicate the character set encoding on the password value.
+By default, non-ASCII characters are rejected. This is new behavior
+with OpenSSL 1.1.1,
+and is used to enforce compliance with the PKCS#12 standard.
+If B<-passutf8> is given, then the password is taken to be valid UTF-8 encoding,
+and will be used directly.
+If B<-pass8bit> is given, the password is taken to be encoded in the current
+locale, but is still used directly; note that
+a future release might automatically convert the password to valid UTF-8
+encoding if this flag is given.
+