[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Mon Jun 11 16:32:38 UTC 2018

In message <5BA62036-BD2E-41B7-ADF9-25C6C116EF2A at akamai.com> on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 16:03:48 +0000, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> said:

rsalz> >    I have zero idea what the doc says, because I haven't seen the docs
rsalz>     yet.  Did I miss the PR?
rsalz>
rsalz> No.  It's posted here on the mailing list for discussion and reposted here:

Ah, found it in the archive...  I somehow glossed over it before,
sorry.

rsalz> +If B<-pass8bit> is given, the password is taken to be encoded in the current
rsalz> +locale, but is still used directly; note that
rsalz> +a future release might automatically convert the password to valid UTF-8
rsalz> +encoding if this flag is given.

Except that, because of the way PKCS12_gen_mac() works, this isn't
true.  If the input pass phrase looks like a UTF-8 encoded string
(because there are valid characters in other encodings that will like
like UTF-8 byte sequences), it will be used as if -passutf8 was given
instead.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org