[openssl-project] Creating the OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable branch

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Sat Jun 23 20:43:32 UTC 2018

> We the OMC figured that all work will go towards making as good a release as
> possible, everything else will be left in feature branches anyway.  This means
> that effectively, OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable and master remain the same, i.e. won't
> start diverging before the final release.
> That makes if pointless to create a branch just to fast-forward it a little now
> and then.

I completely agree with you and I'm not arguing for preponing the branching before the
final release. I just meant to say that it's currently a silent agreement and not written
down on the policy page that the branching will occur together with the final release.
The upcoming vote for the  "Release readiness check following pre8 release" would be
a good opportunity to update the policy accordingly.

Matthias