[openssl-project] VOTE report: Push the release of 1.1.1 beta1 (pre3) forward one week

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sat Mar 10 12:50:56 UTC 2018

In message <20180310124318.GA26207 at roeckx.be> on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 13:43:18 +0100, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> said:

kurt> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:45:46AM +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:
kurt> > Vote text:
kurt> >
kurt> > NOTE: THREE DAY VOTE
kurt> > Why?  Because beta1 is currently scheduled to be released in three
kurt> > days.  A longer voting period would hold the release hostage in
kurt> > practice, and thereby force a push of the release date regardless of
kurt> > the vote result.
kurt>
kurt> As explained by Rich on the OMC list, we can't have that. I assume
kurt> it's a 1 week vote. But the vote can be closed earlier.

Well, the condition for this vote is a bit extraordinary as well.  I
couldn't in good conscience propose a week long vote, because that
potentially would have the effect to push the release a week anyway,
because the release would have to wait for the result of the vote.

Basically, it's a catch 22 that noone thought of...

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org