[openssl-project] GitHub milestone for 1.1.1

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Mar 19 11:14:27 UTC 2018

On 19/03/18 10:58, Richard Levitte wrote:
> Andy has indicated that the rather special construction to get command line C macro definitions and include paths specs collected in one place (*) is perhaps too special and could be handle by parsing CPPFLAGS and extra multiple definitions to get them collected in one spot.
>
> I have some ideas on how to do that, but wonder if that would be considered a new feature with regards to the beta release (we can stop talking now in that case) or if this would be considered a fix. That will decide if it's even worth an effort.

Well what is a "fix" has always been a bit of a grey area.

Does the proposed change offer new capabilities to the user that they
didn't have before?

If the answer is "yes" that tends to indicate a feature.

Does the proposed change fix existing capabilities so that they work as
originally intended?

An answer of "yes" to that tends to indicate a fix.

It becomes more difficult when something is a a general clean up or
optimisation of existing code. In which case nothing is fixed, but it
also doesn't provide new capabilities to the user either.

In the past, sometimes we have let this sort of thing through and
sometimes not. I suppose it comes down to the scale of the change and
risk associated with it. For example the WPACKET refactor didn't make it
into 1.1.0. It wasn't a new feature and was a clean up of existing code.
We didn't backport it because the scale of the change and risk
associated with it is too great. On the other hand if a change is much
more localised with a low level of risk then we might allow it. Probably
we make these decisions on a case by case basis, unless someone can
think of some better "rules".

I haven't got a good understanding of the particular change you are
proposing to be able to say where in all of this that one fits.

Matt