[openssl-project] build/test before merging

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Wed May 23 15:12:30 UTC 2018

> So do you guys use the ghmerge script or own procedures?  I'm curious.

At the beginnning, I tried to use ghmerge but it was not flexible enough for my needs. In particular, it only gives me the choice between squashing everything or leaving everything as it is. Most notably, it does not support partial squashing by interactive rebasing. Or alternatively: pausing + letting me fix something + resuming. What I also dislike is that it uses a lot of GitHub API overhead, for example it pulls the commits from the pr owner's repository, instead of pulling the branch directly from openssl/openssl using the refs/pull/*/head references (which wouldn't require the github api).

Currently, I use only addrev and raw git commands. As an aid, I have a fetch rule

	fetch = +refs/pull/*/head:refs/remotes/github/pr-*

which enables me to do a simple 'git checkout pr-xxxx'.

Matthias