[openssl-project] A proposal for an updated OpenSSL version scheme (v2)

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Fri Sep 21 15:53:46 UTC 2018

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 11:40 AM, Tim Hudson <tjh at cryptsoft.com> wrote:
>
> That is something I wouldn't suggest makes sense as an approach - to change the tarfile name and leave all the internals the same achieves nothing.

And that's not the proposal.  The proposal is that the new major number
is 2 (or 3 if someone sees a compelling need to skip over LibreSSL),
changing not just the marketing name but also the internal version.

The *integer* representing the combined major.minor.micro (+ status)
is not a data structure.  Its encoding has changed multiple times
over the years, and will now change once more, in a way that preserves
order.  That's all.  We'll just need to update:

  https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man3/OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER.html

to indicate a new encoding as of 0x20000000UL and up.

--
	Viktor.