[openssl-project] A proposal for an updated OpenSSL version scheme (v2)

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Fri Sep 21 15:40:48 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 1:34 AM Matthias St. Pierre <
Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com> wrote:

> On 21.09.2018 17:27, Tim Hudson wrote:
> >
> > We cannot remove the current major version number - as that concept
> exists and we have used it all along.
> > We don't just get to tell our users for the last 20+ years what we
> called the major version (which was 0 for the first half and 1 for the
> second half) doesn't exist.
> >

> There has been a famous precedent in history though:  Java dropped the
> "1." prefix when going from "1.4" to "5.0"
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history#Versioning_change)

Unfortunately that isn't a good example - as the version number didn't
actually change - just the marketing and download packaging.
The APIs continue to return 1.5.0 etc.
And many Java developers continue to use the real version numbers.

That is something I wouldn't suggest makes sense as an approach - to change
the tarfile name and leave all the internals the same achieves nothing.

Tim.