[openssl-project] Release strategy updates & other policies

Tim Hudson tjh at openssl.org
Fri Sep 28 07:05:48 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> wrote:

> Either we go with semver and totally commit to it - or we stick with what
> we've already got. No
> half-way, "well we're kind of doing semver, but not really".

+1

I see no point in changing what we are doing *without* getting the benefit
of following the semantic versioning approach.
Right now things like 1.1.0 with a major API change and 1.1.1 with a major
feature update of TLSv1.3 are confusing to those who haven't been along for
the journey.

Our current handling of version numbering surprises developers and requires
careful explanation.

Tim.