punycode licensing

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Wed Jul 10 15:34:03 UTC 2019

> On Jul 10, 2019, at 10:37 AM, Dmitry Belyavsky <beldmit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Formally I am a contributor with a signed CLA.
> I took a code definitely permitting any usage without any feedback, slightly modified it (at least by openssl-format-source and splitting between header and source), and submitted it as my feedback to OpenSSL.

Your ICLA does not cover code for which you as an individual are
not the copyright holder.  Merely having license to *use* the code
is not sufficient to make license assignments to the project.

I think we have two possible paths forward:

1.  The copyright owner signs an ICLA

2.  The OMC votes to accept *this particular* code (which published
    under a permissive license in an RFC, and widely used) without
    an ICLA.

Perhaps 2 is the best way forward, but for the record the outcome
is not *automatic*.  It requires an explicit decision to accept
the specific contribution in question.

--
	Viktor.