proposed change to committers policy

Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Fri May 24 09:21:18 UTC 2019

 >       from individuals who work for separate organisations.
 >       This condition does not apply where the organisation is the
 >       OSF or OSS.

IMHO an important clarification needs to be made: The rule should not be about
_prohibiting_ double approvals. It should only be about _counting_ them.
I would not deprive people of the right to state their opinions.

Also, if Shane has already approved, then Pauli should still have the right
to approve, since his approval counts as OMC approval and Shane's not.

How about using a formulation like the following?

         employed by the same third party company or organization should
         be counted as a single approval. If one of the individuals is
         an OMC member, the combined approval counts as an OMC approval.
         This condition does not apply where the organisation is the
         OSF or OSS.

An editorial comment: I think that the amendmend should be made inside the
unordered list, not following it.

https://github.com/openssl/web/blob/master/policies/committers.html#L72-L78

Apart from that: Tim, could you (or someone else of the OMC) please raise a PR
for your proposal? That would make it easier to discuss the details.

Matthias