#10388

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Nov 14 08:41:57 UTC 2019

On 14/11/2019 06:39, Dr Paul Dale wrote:
> With reference to #10388: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/10388
>
> This PR intends to add missing APIs to 1.1.1.  I’m fine with this being
> considered a bug and adding them.
>

> I’m more concerned about adding these to 3.0.  It means we’ll have to
> support the new API for a long time and it is one which we are currently
> trying to move away from.
>

> Thoughts or comments anyone?

I think that we should not add them to 1.1.1 without also adding them to
3.0.

I'm in two minds about it. I'm not particularly keen on adding new
functions only to deprecate them again in the next release. Also, I
wonder how widely used this would be? These things have not been
available since 1.1.0 came out 3 years ago and its taken until now for
someone to notice.

OTOH if you have a 1.0.2 application that uses these things then not
having them would represent a barrier to moving off of 1.0.2. And it
doesn't add that much burden to us from the perspective of moving these
things to the legacy bridge, because we've got to do all the other
"meth" calls anyway and these are just two more.