#10388

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Thu Nov 14 09:22:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 08:41:57AM +0000, Matt Caswell wrote:

> I think that we should not add them to 1.1.1 without also adding them to 3.0.

Yes.

> OTOH if you have a 1.0.2 application that uses these things then not having
> them would represent a barrier to moving off of 1.0.2. And it doesn't add
> that much burden to us from the perspective of moving these things to the
> legacy bridge, because we've got to do all the other "meth" calls anyway and
> these are just two more.

My take is that we should just add them, and then deprecate them
in 3.0.0 when it comes to deprecate all the existing related
functions.  Having a few more members of the same family to deprecate
is not a burden.  The deprecation won't be any harder for having an
extra handful of code-points.

This is based on reports that these are basically missing accessors,
not a substantial new feature, and there is some plausible need for
them, now that the relevant structures are opaque.

--
    Viktor.