AW: Being socially aware

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Tue Sep 17 10:20:54 UTC 2019

> I agree, this shouldn’t have been a “good first issue”.

You might be right, but in hindsight it’s always easier to judge. In advance it was not at all
obvious to me at all that this pull request would be discussed so controversially.

For me, the task had all properties which in my view make it a good first issue:

- There was an issue report about a missing feature
   https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/9880

- The task was straight forward and had the right size.
   Also, there was a precedence in the code.

So instead of rushing towards an own solution, I took the time to describe an outline
of a possible implementation, because I like the idea behind the [good first issue] tag,
which is to lower the bar for new contributors.

Personally, I don’t think that a lively discussion is discouraging per se. Discussing about
solutions and convincing others is an important aspect of open source development,
which one can start learning from the very first pull request.

Criticism is only harmful if it is carried out with a negative attitude. But recalling my
own experience as a beginner, I can say that this was never the case. I always
experienced the OpenSSL community as very positive and welcoming to newcomers,
and feedback was always constructive.

Matthias