Revisiting tradition: branches and tags

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Sat Apr 11 09:53:32 UTC 2020

I love the new naming scheme, in particular the fact that it's all-lowercase and does not
mix dashes and underscores anymore. I don't recall how often I cursed about the current
scheme which is so typer unfriendly.

I'd like to see *all* stable branch names and release tags converted to new-style uniformly
(keeping the old names for compatibility), so we have an overall consistent scheme and people
don't need to switch back and forth between naming conventions in the future when doing
historical investigations. The old names could be deprecated for later removal.

Matthias