Revisiting tradition: branches and tags

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Apr 13 08:48:35 UTC 2020

On 11/04/2020 10:53, Dr. Matthias St. Pierre wrote:
> I love the new naming scheme, in particular the fact that it's all-lowercase and does not
> mix dashes and underscores anymore. I don't recall how often I cursed about the current
> scheme which is so typer unfriendly.
>
> I'd like to see *all* stable branch names and release tags converted to new-style uniformly
> (keeping the old names for compatibility), so we have an overall consistent scheme and people
> don't need to switch back and forth between naming conventions in the future when doing
> historical investigations. The old names could be deprecated for later removal.

Yes - this aspect was my main hesitation about the proposed new format,
i.e. the fact that we have a set of existing tags/branch names.
Constantly changing between the new format and the old format as we look
at older branches/tags could be painful. Just creating new tags for all
the existing ones would be one way forward.

Typing OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable and getting all the right upper/lower case
characters in the right place and making sure to use _ vs - as
appropriate is a challenge for my fingers which I constantly fail.

Is it possible to set up alias names for the historical branches?

Matt