Cherry-pick proposal

Nicola Tuveri nic.tuv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:12:27 UTC 2020

I think we changed enough things in the test infrastructure that there is a
chance of creating subtle failures by merging cherry-picked commits from
master directly.

>From the burden perspective, from my point of view having a separate PR
that ran all the CI without failures is actually a benefit: I can do some
minimal testing on my machine before the final merge, instead of having to
push a branch to my personal github fork to run travis and appveyor to test
weird build options on platforms I don't have access to.

If we stick to opening the PR for backporting only after master is
completely approved, there shouldn't be too big a burden for the original
reviewers either: we can use `fixup!` commits if trivial changes are
required to clearly highlight what was changed compared to the original PR
for master, and other than that it's just a matter of checking that nothing
else changed from the originally approved changes. Approvals conditional to
the CI passing can also help to further reduce the burden of the grace
period for backport PRs.

Nicola