OTC VOTE: Keeping API compatibility with missing public key

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 12:45:07 UTC 2020

Vote background
---------------

The vote on relaxing the conceptual model in regards to required public
component for EVP_PKEY has passed with the following text:

For 3.0 EVP_PKEY keys, the OTC accepts the following resolution:
* relax the conceptual model to allow private keys to exist without
public components;
* all implementations apart from EC require the public component to be
present;
* relax implementation for EC key management to allow private keys that
do not contain public keys and
* our decoders unconditionally generate the public key (where
possible).

However since then the issue 13506 [1] was reported.

During OTC meeting we concluded that we might need to relax also other
public key algorithm implementations to allow private keys without
public component.

Vote
----

topic: For 3.0 EVP_PKEY keys all algorithm implementations that were usable
       with 1.1.1 EVP_PKEY API or low level APIs without public component must
       stay usable.

       This overrules the
         * all implementations apart from EC require the public component to be present;
       part of the vote closed on 2020-11-17.

Proposed by Tomas Mraz
Public: yes
opened: 2020-12-04