Deprecations

SHANE LONTIS shane.lontis at oracle.com
Sat Feb 22 04:02:08 UTC 2020

> On 22 Feb 2020, at 1:36 pm, Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> But there's nothing like
> using a screwdriver to turn a screw, rather than banging it in with
> an all-purpose hammer!

If we are trying to tell users to not use the low level API’s, and then we go and use them everywhere in apps it is not really sending the correct message.
If we need to keep them - then they probably would need to be rewritten in terms of evp. (Or parse the parameters and pass them to another app call) :)). Either way its quite a bit of work.

> If you search internet, you will more than likely find the first
> ones. They are very easy. I have to look up at the manual page
> examples to know how to use genpkey.

Agreed. Being able to list all the pkey options from the app might be helpful here?