OpenSSL Logo (was: New GitHub Project Landing Page)

Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Thu Feb 27 09:31:34 UTC 2020

The openssl.svg was chosen to match the current logo at

https://www.openssl.org/

as close as possible. According to the style sheet, the font of the logo
is HelveticaNeue-Light.

https://github.com/openssl/web/blob/master/inc/screen.css#L131-L158

While I'm not opposed to brush up the OpenSSL logo, I think this can't
be done simply be replacing it on the fly. I think this requires a general
discussion among the team members and finally an OMC decision,
and shouldn't be rushed. Because after all, the shape of the logo is an
essential part of the OpenSSL 'trade mark'.

If we we want to brush up the Logo, we should give everybody time to come up
with proposals and then have an open contest, ideally among all committers,
not only OMC or OTC.  (And you can be sure, I will come up with a proposal ;-) )

Finally, the OMC can run a vote, for example whether to pick the winner of the
contest or to leave the logo as it is.

Regards,

Matthias