OpenSSL Logo (was: New GitHub Project Landing Page)

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 09:52:30 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-02-27 at 10:31 +0100, Matthias St. Pierre wrote:

> The openssl.svg was chosen to match the current logo at
>
> https://www.openssl.org/
>
> as close as possible. According to the style sheet, the font of the
> logo
> is HelveticaNeue-Light.
>
> https://github.com/openssl/web/blob/master/inc/screen.css#L131-L158
>
> While I'm not opposed to brush up the OpenSSL logo, I think this
> can't
> be done simply be replacing it on the fly. I think this requires a
> general
> discussion among the team members and finally an OMC decision,
> and shouldn't be rushed. Because after all, the shape of the logo is
> an
> essential part of the OpenSSL 'trade mark'.
>
> If we we want to brush up the Logo, we should give everybody time to
> come up
> with proposals and then have an open contest, ideally among all
> committers,
> not only OMC or OTC.  (And you can be sure, I will come up with a
> proposal ;-) )
>
> Finally, the OMC can run a vote, for example whether to pick the
> winner of the
> contest or to leave the logo as it is.

The logo (attached) that Paul Yang created is matching the logo on the
old OpenSSL website. You can see it here for example:

https://j3pd.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/openssl.jpg

I do not know how the current logo on the web was created or if there
was any formal decision process applied but I would expect it was
created just as an approximation of the original logo without using a
picture.

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb